Wednesday, August 3, 2011

George R. R. Martin Signing

Yesterday I attended my first book signing event and it was awesome. George R. R. Martin, author of the epic fantasy series A Song of Ice & Fire, was appearing at Joseph Beth Booksellers in Lexington, Kentucky. There was a massive turnout and there were no photos with him, but we got to to speak to him and listen to what he had to say, he seems like a great guy.

Something interesting that George R. R. Martin mentioned, was that Lexington was not on his tour originally, that he had his publisher add the stop for sentimental reasons. It turns out that on his original A Game of Thrones tour, his appearances pulled out minimal crowds (read: -4 to 6) but when he came to Lexington, he was astonished at the appearance of nearly 400 readers. People had once considered the reason for a 50,000 sq-ft bookstore in Lexington, and that ladies and gentleman is the power of reading. One town can make that big of a difference through the love of books.


"One who doesn't read lives a single life, but a reader lives a thousand lives." - George R. R. Martin

At this time, I didn't get any books signed, I would have loved to and I do plan on reading the series, but for the event last night I was attending as a correspondent of Kentucky Geek Girl, a geek blog I help write. Miraculously, I didn't have the series spoiled and I even learned a little bit more about it including an amazing quote.


"A mind needs books, as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge."

No comments:

Post a Comment