Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Review: Sacrifice by M. Metz and L. Burns

Sacrifice by Melinda Metz & Laura Burns

Publisher: Simon & Schuester Children's (September 20, 2011)
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages (Paperback): 256
Series: Crave (Book 2)
Source: Simon & Schuester Galley Grab
ISBN-13: 9781442408180
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series Reviews: Book 1 (5★)

Gabriel and Shay are convinced that they can make their relationship work. Knowing that Shay is half-vampire, Gabriel thinks that his coven will embrace her as one of their own, but instead they view her as an abomination, a thing that doesn’t belong in either world. And they want her dead. Now Gabriel must make the ultimate decision - watch his love be killed by his coven or defy the people closest to him, the people he has spent centuries with to save her.
_________________________________________________________________

Overview:

I love the story that Metz and Burns started in Crave and it continues to maintain its hold on me through Sacrifice. Shay and Gabriel are amazingly constructed and the level of their love is something I "crave" to read about. While repitive at times, there are moments that are nail-biting and make you wonder how it is possible to make it out of this alive. Sacrifice.

Review:

I can't figure out where I want to start with this book. I was madly in love with Crave after my experiment of no reviews and an unknown title. There was so much to love about the story; I loved the spin on vampire lore just as much as I loved the characters.

The first book ends with a monstrous cliffhanger and in one of the smoothest transitions I have ever read, Sacrifice picks up in perfection at the exact following moment. This was an exciting to start to the book; however, the thrill didn't continue to propel excitement through the first chapters. This was the only problem that I had with this book. In the first book, we had such intricate details of the characters coupled with a great and enticing story that pulled you through the entire book. In the beginning of this book, we are left with our desire to have more Gabriel and Shay but not the pull of what was coming next. It was, in the beginning, a constant ebb and flow of  "I love Shay and need her" or "Gabriel loves me, he will find a way here" and any combination thereof with the two of them confessing their eternal love in the confines of their mind.

Once we break free of that cycle, it changes and the action picks up and we get a sense of the Shay that we fell in love with in the first place. We see "realistic" situations and scenarios as Shay takes on the world. In this book, we are introduced to tragedy, betrayal, and sacrifice. I was expecting Sacrifice to be more of a central theme, but it is only there, fleeting in the background and ending in a shocking turn of events.

Overall, I loved reading this book. I pushed through the lull of repetition to find a great story and a wonderful twist. So much of the background to the characters is woven into this story and I think it is a solid end, with no confusion and no questions. There is a possibility of another book, its end is not finite but leaves you with a solid feeling of resolution.

Rating out of 5:
Favorite Quote (ARC):

'You're with me. That's all that matters'...Even though it wasn't all that mattered, it was the most important thing. To both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment