Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Armchair BEA: Networking Off-Line




It is pretty much obvious that I have put this post off for the most part of the day because I simply didn't know what to do about it. I had some thoughts but when you look at yourself in the mirror and see the shy wannabe, the last thing you want to do is go online to your blog, your public space, and say I suck at networking.

After reading some other stories and posts (love you all for sharing btw), I realize I am not quite as bad as I thought I was but I still have a ways to go to really say that I have accomplished anything significant. So I thought I would tackle this post in different sections to cover some of my experiences and some of my goals.

Did blogging get me a job?

One thing that I can say I have done is make it no secret that I work in a library. When I see all these posts about networking and when I think about my own experience that is what I keep going back to. In a pool of qualified people, I go into my job interview nervous and extremely excited. It puts me one step closer to the dream job. This is where the blog comes in. I assume the questions are similar amongst all applicants but I am prepared for recommendations and to sum up the last great book that I read because I had recently reviewed it. And honestly, when I told them that I had decided to make books my career and that I read, review, and blog in my free time, I think it gave me an edge above the other applicants. It illustrated to my bosses that I was serious about my job and that I do love books.

Since then I have been given all the teen YA catalogs that I keep in my locker and all my bosses love my writing background and reference my blog frequently. I really do believe that blogging helped me get my job on top of my own merits and determination to enjoy my career choice!

The Iron Knight Launch Event

When The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa launched there was a launch event in Louisville, KY (her hometown). That is about an hour away from me so I hopped in the car with a friend and drove out to go and it was great. I mentioned my blog to her and I was a total herp derp. But I still had a blast!

 
Oh, why yes that is Prince Ash in our picture!

Goals

I would love to find people that are of the book bloggy nature around here. I don't like book clubs much because I have never found one that really suits me. I don't like reading a book because I have to but because I want to. I am in a local Goodreads group through the library but I have yet to see anyone who reads the things I could talk about.

Sometimes, when I see books get returned that I enjoyed, I want to rush out and find them and scream that they have good tastes in music and sometimes, if I come across them with the books in their hands, that is what I do. Minus the screaming part; I don't want to go to jail!

I think that some of the local bookstore stories I have heard today have been absolutely inspiring and it really has sparked my interest to visit the local stores for the purpose of networking.

And I really want to get the most out of Twitter & blog comments. I try to utilize it and I have the followers to do it but I never seem to get any return interaction from my readers/followers and it can be really heartbreaking. Especially when it is an open question that could really stimulate conversation or give readers an opportunity to effect the things on the blog. But it is a goal to keep at it. Nothing will change if I just give up.

I hope that you have tactics for networking that work for you because I know mine are always changing and adapting and sometimes, being an introvert, it isn't easy.

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally stumped when it comes to networking because I have a job (teaching) and I only blog for pleasure. But, it's true...these posts do get one thinking. I just din't want to turn my joy into a job, and therein lies the ambivalence. I know what you mean about not loving a book club; i'm in two, but the second one has a person I can't help but call a bully which so takes the fun out if discussion. Hence another lovely part if blogging: the delete button. ;) Thanks for visiting me, I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete