Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Novel Idea!

Have you ever toyed with an idea and want to make something work but you just weren't sure about how to execute it? For a while now I have contemplated some things that I wanted to feature on this blog.

One of them is that I want to feature older books. I think that the book blog community is fantastic at hyping new books but what happens to a book when its 15 minutes of fame have passed? There are awesome books like The Giver (1993) by Lois Lowry, Speak (1999) by Laurie Halse Anderson, The Luxe (2007) by Anna Godberson or anything by Lurlene McDaniel that are worth reading too!

So that was goal one, to bring back around the life of the books. Goal two was that I would love to incorporate my librarianess. Now, I am not a librarian (cough|yet|cough) but I am a Library Assistant. One of my personal projects is shelf talkers where I write and promote features for new, albeit adult, books. As an LA, one of my overall job duties is promoting Reader's Advisory. What is Reader's Advisory? I take a given topic, author, genre that someone says they are interested in and poke around as to why they enjoy it and offer recommendations.

The brilliant baby of an idea? To have a Reader's Advisory feature here on the blog! I can take newer books that are popular titles and work on recommendations to highlight these older books. I don't intend to make my way to classics, but in the end...

Fiction never dies!

I'm pretty excited about this undertaking; I say that like it is some massive big deal but my epiphany for something funky fresh and something I have been wanting to execute for a while is pretty exciting! I hope you get something enjoyable and new out of it as well! I intend (cue another coughing fit) to get this out on Thursdays. Probably every other week but this can set up time if it interests you for a weekend read!

Be on the lookout!

No comments:

Post a Comment